If ever there was a reason to join Twitter, it must be the ongoing online “feud” between Hollywood stars Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds. Over the years, the pair have underhandedly complimented each other’s movies, played pranks on each other, armed the liquor companies they own to slyly scold each other, and very often just insult each other for no apparent reason. It’s actually been such a lengthy thing, that many who were late to the party probably don’t even know how the pair was constantly punching in the keyboard sense in the first place. Well, on a recent podcast, Reynolds was able to enlighten those who really want to know the source of the back and forth.
While many people are used to Reynolds viewing anything Jackman related as an opportunity to dig into the… Greatest Showman star, but on the smartless podcast with Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, and Will Arnett, Reynolds actually chose to answer a question about their humorous quarrel with a heartfelt answer. It seems like what it all boils down to is that Reynolds is a little jealous of how nice Jackman is. Yes really.
The conversation went a bit like this:
- BATEMAN: What happened, who pissed someone off?
- REYNOLDS: You know Hugh Jackman… I really shouldn’t be saying this, but he… he makes kindness look like murder. I mean, he really is the nicest man you’ll ever meet. And sometimes that drives me crazy.
- BATEMAN: But…
- REYNOLDS: No, unfortunately there is no but. He really is the real deal.
- BATEMAN: You question the sincerity of his kindness.
- REYNOLDS: No, it’s just infuriating because I want…
- ARNETT: Because it’s so real.
- BATEMAN: I got it.
- REYNOLDS: No, I want to have the sense of well-being that Hugh Jackman has.
- BATEMAN: And it turns into rage for you.
- REYNOLDS: I want to understand that to a degree, so we hate and sometimes lash out at the things we can’t understand.
- BATMAN: Mmm.
- REYNOLDS: So I tend to hate and lash out at Hugh, and he naturally answers that because he’s nothing but a sportsman. And that’s about it. But in reality he is my life Sherpa. He’s one of the best guys I know.
So in the end it comes down to the simple fact that Jackman is just too nice for Reynolds not to want to look at him when he can, and Hugh Jackman is willing to give the best he can because he knows it will pay off. Ryan Reynolds happy. While it is equally well known that the couple are actually very good friends and despite taking every opportunity to give each other hell there are many occasions where they really give each other a boost when they need it. I think especially in this present day we all need a friend who likes to knock you down most of the time but is always there for you then you need them. Long may their differences be broadcast in public.