Mortal Kombat director Simon McQuoid says it’s up to fans to decide whether or not the video game’s new adaptation has a sequel. Directly inspired by the video game series, Mortal Kombat was released in theaters on Friday and on HBO Max. The ending of the movie lends itself to a sequel, but from now on Mortal Kombat 2 isn’t officially in the works yet.
So, will we be continued or not? After the film’s premiere, McQuoid spoke to Variety about the possibility. According to the director, there is during the production of Mortal Kombat because he wanted everyone to focus on this first movie. McQuoid then makes it clear that the Mortal Kombat team is very open to moving forward but insists it is up to the fans to get it done.
Follow-ups are a bit tricky because you can’t ignore them completely because that wouldn’t be a smart move, but none of us used the ‘s word. That said, if the fans want another one, it’s not up to us to decide, it’s up to the fans to decide, then we need a few pieces of furniture that we know they can lead us somewhere, because there is a wealth of things just sitting there. ‘
If Mortal Kombat 2 gets green light from Warner Bros., we’ll likely see Johnny Cage appear in the sequel. Fans of the classic character were disappointed to see that he wasn’t featured in the Mortal Kombat reboot, but its introduction to the potential sequel is teased in the first film. In the Variety interview, McQuoid explains why Johnny wasn’t in the movie, although he also suggests the hunter would be brought in along with other fan favorites like Kitana.
“The reason [Johnny Cage] not in this original film is he such a gigantic personality that he almost has his own gravitational field. The feeling was that he would throw it off balance a bit. I am asked about Kitana as often as I was about Johnny Cage. There are many interesting characters, stories and materials to work with. So we didn’t really dig into it; we just know we’re very privileged to be setting there. If we get this far, and I’m not saying we will, I’m just saying whether – big “if” – we’ll walk that path. “
The cast and crew might not have been allowed to use the “s-word” on set, but that doesn’t mean there weren’t any creative plans to move the story forward. Co-writer Greg Russo previously told Collider that the screenplay was written with the intention of being the first of a trilogy. Sub-Zero actor Joe Taslim has also been signed up to appear in four Mortal Kombat sequels, should the potential franchise get that far.
Reviews of the Mortal Kombat movie have been mixed, although some longtime fans of the franchise maintain that it is the best video game movie ever. Warner Bros. continues with Mortal Kombat 2 will take into account the reaction of the fans, along with the financial success of the film. With sales of $ 22.5 million in the United States and Canada, the film has already outperformed its estimated $ 19 million premiere. You can read the full interview with McQuoid on Variety.
Subjects: Mortal Kombat